Our re/insurance solutions help address key environmental and social challenges. We focus on mitigating climate risk and advancing the energy transition, building societal resilience, and driving affordable insurance with digital solutions to advance access to insurance.
- USD 4.1 billion natural catastrophe premiums across Swiss Re Group.
- USD 10.7 billion climate protection offered to 130 (sub-)sovereigns since 2014.
- >5 600 wind and solar farms insured.
- Swiss Re Corporate Solutions considered a “lead market” for offshore wind risks.
- 296 000 beneficiaries benefitting from life and health insurance cover through Women’s World Banking microinsurance programme.
By managing risks and covering losses, re/insurance creates stability and enables economic growth. However, some environmental and social challenges may undermine sustainable progress if left unaddressed. Helping our clients and society tackle such risks is a key part of our commitment to sustainability and of our vision to make the world more resilient.
We develop our solutions as part of our established risk modelling and underwriting activities or by creating innovative new products in close cooperation with our clients and partners. Thus, our solutions frequently include:
- Index-based insurance products: We are a pioneer in creating innovative insurance solutions that use an index to determine payments.
- Climate-related risk analytics, models and tools: Our sustainability solutions for insurance clients improve their current and future performance and provide ground for the development of new products.
- Public-sector partners: Besides direct insurers and corporate clients, we also develop risk transfer solutions for, and in cooperation with, governments and various public-sector organisations.
- Insurance-linked securities (ILS) or catastrophe bonds: We are a leading developer of these products, which enable cedents to transfer large risks to the capital markets.
Our solutions support our clients in their journey towards sustainability. They rely on our models and tools for underwriting, which consider sustainability-related aspects, eg the impact of climate change on floods. Equally, our clients benefit from our digital platforms for launching new products, eg parametric earthquake insurance.
Across our efforts, we seek to develop solutions that improve access to insurance protection, especially in emerging markets. If governments and communities are financially protected against risks such as windstorms, earthquakes, drought and flooding, they can better cope with the immediate consequences of a disaster.
Just as importantly, our solutions help create the conditions for sustained social and economic development because they protect investments, allow governments to stabilise budgets and give people the financial stability required to build and maintain businesses.