Our approach to corporate responsibility
We are committed to being a responsible company. Playing our part in enabling sustainable progress serves as a guiding principle for our actions.
Our commitment to corporate responsibility
Swiss Re has a long-standing commitment to being a responsible company. A key element in our understanding of what this means is the desire to play our part in enabling sustainable progress, for the benefit of our clients and society at large. Taking this long-term view helps us to pursue our vision of making the world more resilient and is embedded in our value framework, which means ”doing business the Swiss Re way”.
Importantly, this commitment is also in our own best interest: it strengthens our capabilities to address both risks and opportunities created by longer-term environmental and social challenges and, as a consequence, to retain our licence to operate.
Our external commitments
Based on our commitment to corporate responsibility and enabling sustainable progress, we have signed up to a number of external charters and initiatives:
- EP100: see Renewable energy and RE100/EP100
- Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI): see Responsible investment approach
- RE100: see Renewable energy and RE100/EP100
- Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (FSB-TCFD): see Climate risk and sustainability and 2017 Financial Report
- UNEP FI Principles for Sustainable Insurance (PSI): for our Public Disclosure of Progress, see The Principles for Sustainable Insurance (PSI)
- UN Global Compact: for our Communication on Progress, see GRI Content Index
- Carbon Disclosure Project
We make the world more resilient
Our values mean
doing business the Swiss Re way:
- Being open, honest and transparent in everything we do.
- Treating everyone with respect – both inside and outside the company.
- Taking the long-term view and playing our part in enabling sustainable progress – for stakeholders and society in general.
- Creating an inclusive culture that encourages diversity of thought and opinion.
Our commitment to corporate responsibility:
“Corporate responsibility” expresses Swiss Re’s commitment to being an open, honest and transparent organisation that treats all its stakeholders – employees, shareholders, clients, government agencies and the general public – with respect and integrity. In particular, we aim to take the long-term view and to play our part in enabling sustainable progress.