Mary Francis, CBE
Member, non-executive and independent
Mary Francis was elected to the Board of Directors of Swiss Re Ltd in 2013. She is a member of the Audit Committee and the Finance and Risk Committee.
Mary Francis held a number of senior positions in the UK Treasury and Cabinet Office, including Financial Counsellor in the British Embassy in Washington DC, Private Secretary to the Prime Minister (John Major), and Deputy Private Secretary to the Queen. Between 1999 and 2005 she was Director General of the Association of British Insurers. She is a former non-executive Director of the Bank of England and Aviva plc, and was Senior Independent Director of the British energy company Centrica plc from 2006 to 2014.
- Board member of Barclays plc and Barclays Bank plc
- Board member of Ensco plc
- Member of the UK Takeover Appeal Board
- Senior advisor to Chatham House
- Master of Arts, Newnham College, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom